8.1.13

Review of 2012

日本語記事はこちら


Finally. I listed albums and singles which I really liked in 2012. All released in 2012.



Albums (listed in alphabetical order)

1. Allah-Las - Self-Titled

I didn't know about this band till my friend introduced me their songs. The 60s garage sound plus West Coast lazy and easy-goin beat.




2. Black Moth - The Killing Jar

I went to their gig three times last year. Every time I went to see them their sound got better and better.  The best new heavy rock/doom metal band in 2012.




3. Bo Ningen - Line The Wall

I don't know how many times I went to see since I moved to London. I think at least 10 times so far haha. If you haven't seen them live yet, you must attend their gig! I always don't understand what's going on on the stage, but there are always lots of energy, dynamism and impulse. Psychedelic noise. 



4. Clinic - Free Reign

I've been waited for this since their last album "Bubblegum". I'm so looking forward to seeing them this March. Post-punk/ neo-psychedelic album.



5. Dum Dum Girls - End Of Daze

I love this album. Songs are a bit sad and dark but they are all beautiful and I always feel so calm when I listen to this album.




6. Egyptian Hip Hop - Good Don't Sleep

I've introduced them here in 2010, and they are still youngsters who have got talent. I thought my taste in music has changed since I don't listen to electro rock now, but seems I can't resist their sexy music.




7. The Funkees - Dancing Time: The Best of Eastern Nigeria's Afro Rock Exponents 1973-77

I've never listened to Nigerian rock till I found this comp album at the record shop I work. It's funky but also progressive. 




8.Grizzly Bear - Shield 

This is a beautiful album. Grizzly Bear's albums are always in my "music for work" playlist. When I do translation or write an article, I listen to music which makes me calm down and relaxed. But it ain't classical music! It has to be slightly rocking and this album is!




8. The Heartbreaks - Fun Time, debut album

I've introduced them here in 2010, and finally they released their debut album in 2012! They are so-called indie rock band, but I love their music. And you know what, they are big in Japan now. 




9. King Salami and Cumberland 3 - Shake It and Dig It

R&B Punk!! Oh you should see them live, definitely. You can't help dancing. Search them on Youtube, there are so many their live videos!




10. Little Comets - Life Is Elsewhere 

They released the album on Columbia Records and are getting popular, but I still think they are a bit underrated. They are described as "Kitchen Sink Indie Music" on their wikipedia, um, maybe. 




11. MFC Chicken - Music For Chicken 

Rock'n'Roll with Saxophone. I started to dig 50s R'n'R and R'n'B thanks to them. Listen to their music if you wanna twist!! 




12. Moon Duo - Circles

Formed by Wooden Shijips guitarist Ripley Johnson and Sanae Yamada, they say their genre is Repeat-o Rock. I don't know what it is. Only I can say is they are psychedelic and space rock and I like them very much. 




13. Night Beats - Self-Titled

Oh their gig in London was brilliant. I was far away from the stage first but ended up banging my head at the front. Lo-fi psych garage. My favourite song is the first song on the album "Puppet On A String. 




14. The Phantoms - Crazy Like A Wasp 

I've wrote about them here before, it was so cool to meet their manager Maciek at Casbah Records. I really wanna attend their gig next time!! 




15. The Routes - Instrumentals 

I'm a big fan of them! This album is all instrumentals and really really cool garage/surf rock!! And they are already working on next album. I'm already excited!!




16. The Shook-Ups - Bad Reputation 

I'm so glad I went to their gig last year. Actually I didn't plan to go to see them, but back then I had a really bad day and I thought I needed good live music to cheer up myself. And their gig was bloody fun!!! Forgot all bad things happened to me on the day. 




17. The Smoking Trees - Acetates 

Psych pop album by a psychedelic duo Sir Psych and L.A. AL. This album is the one I listen to when I ride on a bicycle in a suburbia, instead of Rain Drops Keep Falling Down on My Head. 




18. Stealing Sheep - Into The Diamond Sun 

I quite like Psychedelic Folk with female vocals. These 3 girls are really creative and make a beautiful harmony.  Shame I haven't been to their gig yet, hope I can see them soon!




19. Thee Vicars - I Wanna Be Your Vicar 

This album has many different style in it: Garage, Beat, Punk, R'n'R, Blues, but all danceable! You can read about them and their last gig here and their new band The Baron Four here






20. Trembling Bells feat. Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - The Marble Downs 

This is another psych folk album I really liked last year. It's got traditional music, proggy sound and a ccapella as well. I also got their EP Duchess, you might find it boring if you are not a fan of folk music and a ccapella but the last song Tincture of Tears is beautiful. 





Singles 

I didn't buy many singles of new release last year since I was keen on reissues and original issues of garage 45". But I loved 6 singles of 2012 below!


1. Bo Ningen - Henkan 

Yes. How could I miss this. Probably this song sounds dark but this is so intense and energetic when they play the song on a stage. This 7" includes lyrics printed on beautiful black Japanese paper. 




2. Jacco Gardner - Clear The Air 

I'm so jealous of him. Too talented at his age. I've never heard of  Neo-Psychedelic/ Burlesque pop till I listened to him.  You can read about him here





3. Jacco Gardner - Where Will You Go 

His another single released in last year. What can I say. I love this music video as well. 




4.Temples - Shelter Song

Another Neo-psychedelic group. I managed to go to see them last year and their set was really good!! I'm so looking forward to getting their full-length album. Check B-side song Prism, it's great as well!





5. The Sundowners - Hummingbird 

I've waited for this release for a long time!! Produced by James and Ian Skelly of The Coral, this single became shaper and bolder than its demo version which was much slower tempo. I'm still waiting for their another single release and album release! 





6. The Travellers - Summer With No Sun

Loving their mixture of this retro feel and the fuzz guitar! I can tell that they genuinely love making music. This single will be exclusively available from Casbah Records soon!! Get in touch if you want your copy!





Right, that's all!! It took me ages to write this post so I'll try to blog each time I find a good album and single! This is one of my new year resolutions!! 

I also would like to hear which album and single you listened to last year. Please let me know if you have good/ interesting recommendations!! 

Thanks xxxxx 

1 comment:

  1. I think The Travellers single is the best thing I have heard in ages!

    ReplyDelete